Sunday, December 11, 2005

Award-Winning Coincidences...

This past Saturday night, in Sweden, Professor Robert Aumann received the Nobel Prize in Economics for his mathematical research into game theory.

Ha'aretz reported that,
At the yeshiva high school where he studied, he was told he was not very good in mathematics, and they advised him to choose something simpler, like auto mechanics.

This started me thinking about how many things Professor Aumann and I have in common - you can decide for yourself if there is something to it, or whether it's all just a big coincidence.

Aumann: Attended Yeshiva High school in the NY Metropolitan area

Ze'ev: Attended Yeshiva High school in the NY Metropolitan area

Aumann: Was told by teacher in the yeshiva high school that he was no good in math, and should become an auto-mechanic.

Ze'ev: Was told by teacher in the yeshiva high school that he was no good in math...

Aumann: Attended to University in New York - City College

Ze'ev: Attended to University in New York - Yeshiva University

Aumann: Made Aliyah to Israel from North America

Ze'ev: Made Aliyah to Israel from North America

Aumann: Professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem

Ze'ev: Student at Hebrew University in Jerusalem

Aumann: Has strong Jewish / right-wing political beliefs

Ze'ev: Has strong Jewish / right-wing political beliefs

Aumann: Awarded Nobel Prize

Ze'ev: ????????

Could it be that I am on the verge of winning a Nobel Prize or is this all just one big coincidence?

(Did I mention that we're both Jewish?)



15 Comments:

Now if the National Union wanted to take headline away from Kadima, Aumann would be the guy to start with.

By Blogger JoeSettler, at Sun Dec 11, 05:41:00 PM GMT+2  

Hilarious. But we need to give you enough time to grow as impressive a beard.

By Blogger tafka PP, at Sun Dec 11, 06:24:00 PM GMT+2  

If you win the NObel Prize then you could have that in common with Yassir Arafat

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 06:35:00 PM GMT+2  

Considering Professor Aumann is 75 years old, I think you have a couple of good years before you canbe expecting the Nobel committee to be knocking at your door.

By Blogger Shoshana, at Sun Dec 11, 07:38:00 PM GMT+2  

You look better without the beard.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 07:56:00 PM GMT+2  

You both wear doily yarmulkes

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 09:20:00 PM GMT+2  

Joe - Agreed.

PP - I can be that Rabbi fro mthe Hagada who was only 18, but looked like he was 70.

Leff - and Peres and Rabin - 3 of my bestest buddies... (also Sadat and Begin)

Shoshana - see my comments to PP

Zion - Well I certainly won't be winning the Nobel Prize in economics

Hillel - SO I have been told

Strong Bad - If I recall correctly, you are the one who wears the doily Kippah

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Sun Dec 11, 10:00:00 PM GMT+2  

It's a Mexican-Wrestling Mask, okay shmatta-head.

See:
http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Strong_Bad

Check Me Out!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 12, 12:06:00 AM GMT+2  

He is experienced in Game Theory
While you like Hockey Games.

http://israelperspectives.blogspot.com/2005/09/saying-goodbye-to-youth.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 12, 12:13:00 AM GMT+2  

It looks like you have a future. Get it for the Jewish nation!

By Blogger 3pillars, at Mon Dec 12, 12:36:00 AM GMT+2  

Strong Bad - good find...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Mon Dec 12, 12:39:00 AM GMT+2  

Ze'ev,

As you are not a Chemist, Physicist, Medic or Economist nor do you write poetry, your only actual chance of a Nobel Prize is the Peace Prize.

Looks like you are destined to be PM - wish I could say I will vote for you, but I won't!

H

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 12, 03:09:00 PM GMT+2  

Haim, quite the contrary. I I would win the Nobel Peace prize, you would almost assuredly vote for me for PM - b/c the only Israelis whow ill ever win that prize are the oenswith your politics...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Mon Dec 12, 04:11:00 PM GMT+2  

Great post - but do you really need the Prize? Though I think you won't mind achieving the equivalent of that for your past, current, and future role in building a Jewish State and achieving Jewish Unity.

By Blogger Critically Observant Jew, at Mon Dec 12, 05:54:00 PM GMT+2  

Greg, I technically don't need the prize to help the Jewish people - but the $1.3 million that go along with the prize would sure be nice...

Martine,

I am not sure which Nobel Prize I would qualify for - not economics or science, ideally peace, but I dont know if they would like my idea of what my vision of peace would be.

As for how many grandkids - there are none that I know of...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Mon Dec 12, 07:52:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory