Thursday, December 08, 2005

John Lennon and the Jewish State

Today, December 8th, marks 25 years since the murder of John Lennon.

Why do I know this obscure piece of music trivia (considering that I couldn't even complete the I-Pod Meme)?

The answer is because one of Israel's most popular radio stations has made a point of mentioning this piece of information just about every hour, followed by one of Lennon's songs.

I have now been sitting in my office, listening to the radio, going on 8 hours, and each time I hear a reference to Lennon it bothers me more and more.

Why, you ask, should it bother me if this Israeli radio station should dedicate its music for a day to John Lennon, a man who contributed so much to the music world, a man who devoted his life to promoting peace and love throughout the world?

Perhaps, a closer look at the lyrics of John Lennon's most famous song, Imagine, might provide some clues:
Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn’t hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...


Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...


You may say I’m a dreamer,
but I’m not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Personally, I don't see room, in Lennon's vision, for a Jewish State in the Land of Israel - especially one whose very existence seems to cause so much hatred, division and bloodshed in the world.

Now maybe I am reading too much into this, but perhaps this Israeli radio station knows Lennon's vision all too well, and it is a vision that they share - a vision of a world / region free of borders, a vision of peace and love in the New Middle East, a vision that no longer sees the need for a Jewish State when, instead, we could all just live together as good human beings - and it is for this reason that they are idolizing him today?

Or, maybe it's just because he's a rock legend (although, I don't recall this special treatment being given to any other rock legend who died).

In either case, it made for some good blog material.



11 Comments:

"I don't recall this special treatment being given to any other rock legend who died"

What about Elvis?

By Blogger Shoshana, at Thu Dec 08, 08:04:00 PM GMT+2  

Shoshana, aside from an Elvis statue in Neve Ilan, peopel dont care much about Elvis here...


Moby, thanks for the comment - as such, his views are no good for people like me...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Fri Dec 09, 12:17:00 PM GMT+2  

I never like the Bettles. They represented an absence of values.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Dec 09, 03:45:00 PM GMT+2  

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Ze'ev you sound like a crazed paranoid maniac if you are really trying to assert that Galgalatz's tribute to John Lennon is part of a left wing plot to create a New Middle East. Are you infact bonkers? You do remember that Galgalatz is part of Galei Zahal - Army Radio!!!! I am not sure that Lennon would have so approved of the tribute himself.

As for the rest of you neo-con warmongers. Can't you at least appreciate that the guy changed the face of music?

H

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 09:20:00 AM GMT+2  

Haim, last I checked, Israel's army radio just had one of their hosts defect to join Amir "I love Oslo" Peretz...

I also recall Israel's army throwing thousands of Jews out of their home this summer - in the name of Peace...

Right up Lennon's alley.

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Sun Dec 11, 09:24:00 AM GMT+2  

And this PROVES that the recogition of his passing is part of their Left wing plot to destroy Judaism. Right on. I think you may have been visting the strawberry fields and having a few dates with Lucy in the sky with Diamonds if you really believe that Ze'ev.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 02:54:00 PM GMT+2  

I have long been a huge Beatles fan. I don't understand why conservatives make such an issue over the lyrics of "Imagine". Yes the thoughts are naive but so what, it's just a song, nothing to feel overtly threatened by.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Dec 11, 09:20:00 PM GMT+2  

Anon - I also like the Beatles music - but Imagine became the anthem for the "peace" movement whose values are not consistent wit hthe idea of there being a Jewish State - not in Israel, or anywhere else for that matter.

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Sun Dec 11, 10:35:00 PM GMT+2  

Yes, it's a very dangerous song, and the Israeli "peace" song is based on its philosophy.

re: Elvis vs Lennon
Elvis just sang and acted, while Lennon wrote his own material.

By Blogger Batya, at Mon Dec 12, 10:48:00 AM GMT+2  

try reading Ze'ev Maghen monograph "Imagine: On Love and Lennon"

it'll give u new insights into the song form a rleigious perspective

By Blogger Jerusalemcop, at Thu Dec 15, 12:35:00 AM GMT+2  

Jerusalem Cop - read it - excel;lent article...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Thu Dec 15, 09:29:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory