Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Friends in Unlikely Places - The Fellowship of the Blog

One of the most amazing things about the internet is that it has a way of bringing people together.

I have found that since starting my blog (as well as through having some of my writings published in various on-line forums) that I have come into contact with some really amazing people whose paths I would have otherwise not likely crossed.

(In no particular order):

* My high school principal, along with 2 other rabbi's of mine from my high school days e mailed me after stumbling across an essay I had published on Israel National News.

* A friend who I had attended elementary school with, but whom I hadn't seen or heard from since graduating (in 1993), found me through an article I had published on Israel Insider. Turns out that we are both living in Israel - small world.

From my blog...

There's Jameel, who taught me that you don't have to be a terrorist to live in The Muqata. He also showed me that I wasn't alone in wanting to create a birthright Yesha program.

That idea led me to Joe Settler, who I have had the pleasure of discussing the idea of late with. Hopefully we will all be able to put our heads together on this and make birthright Yesha a reality.

Then there's Ezzie, from SerandEz, who not only provided me with the info on how to fix my blog, but keeps me entertained with his complex systems for determining his NFL picks - for those who must have action.

Last but not least, there is Shoshana from Sweet Rose (and from here, as well), who took the info about my blog trouble from SerandEz and did the dirty HTML work and fixed my blog for me - something which I would have never been able to accomplish myself (as I now have Blogger comments and Haloscan trackbacks - the best of both worlds - as well as one less bullet point). Also, Shoshana is one of the few people who seems to be able to tolerate (if not actually being genuinely interested) in all that I have to say when it comes to why Jews should live in Israel - and that is no small feat - just ask my wife.

You have all made this blogging experience all the more enjoyable, and I imagine that the list will only continue to grow.



7 Comments:

Great meeting you too! I was thinking of writing a post just like yours...but you beat me to it.

I guess its another "tag" blog ;-)

By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at Wed Nov 09, 09:25:00 PM GMT+2  

I am glad for your extended newfound friendships. I am not one to encourage online relationships, but there is something about these interchanges that is different. Maybe it's because you have found more people that are as passionate as you are about sharing your love for Israel, and the Jewish People.

All in all, i feel that this 'fellowship' if i may call it is rooted in your deep commitments to Torah and Eretz Yisrael.

I hope that you will be successful in your continued endeavor to strengthen the Jewish people's commitment to G-d, the Torah, and Eretz Yisrael.

Good luck!
Keep writing:-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 09, 11:34:00 PM GMT+2  

Ze'ev - Thanks! Ha - I was just saying to your bro how you're one of my blogging buddies. It's like a huge mini-world... if that makes any sense.

Seriously - thanks, I'm flattered. And I always told you Shoshana was the best. Oh yes - did my picks already, but you'll have to wait a couple days to see them ;).

Annie makes an interesting point about online relationships - I think that she touched on an important point: There is something in these relationships that is different. We all read each other, and I think our true selves comes out pretty clearly in our writing. It's hard to pretend when a blog is primarily to express one's self or one's own ideas/ideals. Therefore, there's no deception involved. I think it's wonderful - and may Annie's bracha be answered l'tovah.

B'hatzlacha Ze'ev! :)

By Blogger Ezzie, at Thu Nov 10, 08:38:00 AM GMT+2  

Jameel, great minds think alike - consider this post a hand-off to you...

Annie, what can I say, aside from that you're always right.

I'll add to the title of the post - "Fellowship of the Blog"

Ezzie, makes total sense. That's the beauty of the internet - has the ability to bring people closer together.

As for Shoshana being the best, that distinction is reserved for my wife - I love you, sweetie - (I have to be careful what i say here,(since my wife reads my blog occasionally, when she's not busy reading Nice Jewish Girl or The Muqata).

Your post on the Blogger comments and Haloscan trackbaks was super timely, as I had just gotten rid of my Halscan comments, and was having al ot of trouble fixing the HTML and I didn't like blogger backlinks...

As for your picks... all I can say is I don't know many "nice Jewish boys" who have the courage to proudly display their picks - and I am inferring a few things from your picks:

1) You must make a nice salary if you have money to blow on betting...

2) You don't make a nice salary, but you believe that you'll win more than you lose...

3) You must have a really special wife if she lets you blow your money on gambling...

4) or... she doesn't know...

In any case, good luck with this weeks picks. Just an FYI, I would be hesitant to rely on someone who has suffered a bunch of concusions to make my NFL picks - just my thoughts.

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Thu Nov 10, 11:24:00 AM GMT+2  

I am glad I could help! I am very happy to have met you also - I definitely think that the people you come in contact with via blogs is the best benefit that I never expected from blogging.

Oh, and thanks Ezzie - your compliment is, as always, too kind.

By Blogger Shoshana, at Thu Nov 10, 01:50:00 PM GMT+2  

I agree.There is a special connection of those who have come on aliyah.-and now contributing to Israel-and being a part of ongoing history.It's worth more than any economics left behind.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 11, 03:48:00 AM GMT+2  

Hi,
I love blogging and is a great mean of communicating your ideas. There is a freedom of speech and share. Most of the times, I have experienced that Blogging keeps my mind fresh and helps me maintaining healthy socialization while taking part in discussions, I feel confident and updated.
Essay Papers

By Anonymous Cathy Williams, at Thu Sep 30, 10:52:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory