Politicking away the Jewish State...
In the wake of the stroke suffered by Ariel Sharon, Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert had the enormous burden of trying to solidify the government, inspire confidence in the citizens of the State of Israel, and last, but certainly not least, pull the Kadima party together for the upcoming election run.
Believe it or not, he has been relatively successful on all counts.
What is the secret to his success?
Olmert, a lifelong politician and the right-hand man of Ariel Sharon, knows better than most that Israelis love more than any thing else a strong leader who is able to stand strong against the enemies of the State of Israel - and that is exactly what Olmert has been doing, while putting all other concerns on the backburner.
Here are some examples:
1) 'Criminal acts' and Arab olive trees
In his first public statement, after taking over the chairing of the cabinet following Prime Minister Sharon's incapacitation, Olmert said that the acts (the recent chopping downof thousands of olive trees cultivated by "Palestinian" farmers) were "a terrible thing which should not be countenanced... This must be prevented; the perpetrators must be apprehended."
2) Government official: Illegal outpost to go no matter what
"The planned evacuation at the Amona outpost alongside Ofra will go ahead come hell or high water. The police will receive full backing," the government official said. "The settlers' protests prior to the expected evacuation aren't make any impression."
3) Olmert: We'll punish violent settlers
"In recent days we see radical elements assaulting IDF and defense establishment personnel," Olmert said. "I ordered security forces to act decisively to prevent the continuation of this phenomenon."
"The State of Israel is a law-abiding country and whoever raises a hand against defense establishment members will be punished in the most severe manner," the acting prime minister warned.
4) Main Road in Judea and Samaria May be Closed to Jewish Traffic
The next step in the government’s attempts to implement the US-backed Road Map for setting up a Palestinian state may be to prohibit Jews from driving on the main highway in Judea and Samaria.
The military authority charged with building the security barrier roughly along the state’s pre-1967 boundaries, Keshet Tsvaim, has already drafted a proposal to restrict Jewish traffic on the highway. If implemented, the proposal would force Jews to travel dozens of miles out of the way in order to reach their homes or get to work.
5) Olmert OKs Palestinian Voting in Jerusalem
Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert faced his first major test on Sunday when he led his Cabinet in a unanimous decision to let Palestinians vote in Jerusalem later this month, defusing a crisis that threatened to derail the parliamentary elections.
6) Israel to use commandos against Hebron Jews
Security sources said acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has approved a proposal for the deployment of army and police commandos to expel and dismantle an unauthorized Jewish neighborhood in Hebron...
"The decision reflected the priority of the government over the next two weeks," a security source said. "The government has based its credibility on the destruction of this illegal outpost."
Here are some of the issues that Olmert, in his zeal to fight the enemies of the State of Israel, has neglected to deal with:
1) Israel: Palestinian missiles' range extended to 40 km
An Israeli military report said Palestinian insurgency groups have obtained the technology to extend the range of their missiles to up to 40 kilometers.
Israeli officials said a review by the military and Israel Security Agency asserted that Hamas and Islamic Jihad have acquired technology and expertise from Iran and Hizbullah to extend the Qassam-class missile to 40 kilometers. They said the two groups have already succeeded in extending the range of their missiles to about 14 kilometers.
2) Weapons smuggling into Gaza rising
"The amount of weapons and explosives smuggled into the Gaza Strip from Egypt has grown drastically, by more than 300 percent," (Shin Bet Director Yuval) Diskin told the committee, which convened in his Tel Aviv office.
"If before the disengagement they smuggled in 200 to 300 rifles a month, they are now smuggling in close to 3,000..."
Terror organizations, Diskin said, have used the last few months to build up their military forces and to develop long-range Qassam rockets.
3) Rocket threat prompts water company to stop using chlorine gas
Israel's water company has stopped injecting chlorine gas at a facility near the Gaza Strip for fear that Palestinian-fired rockets would hit tanks holding the potentially deadly substance, a company official said Sunday.
Just to recap... While Qassam rockets continue to fall on Israel (within range not only of Jewish communities - which is deemed acceptable in the eyes of the Govermentof Israel, but industrial zones crucial to the day to day existence of the State of Israel) and an unprecedented amount of weapons and terrorists continue to flow into Gaza, Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert busies himself with the following concerns:
* Determining who has been uprooting the "Palestinian's" olive trees - strongly suggesting that Jews of Yesha are responsible for all of the incidents. (This has been proven to be false, as can be seen from the following posts: #1, #2, & #3).
* The destruction of Jewish communities in Yesha - by any means possible - including the Jewish community of Hebron.
* Creating "Apartheid Roads" whereby roads that had been built for the use of both Jewish and Arab drivers are now to be kept Jew-free.
* The former Mayor of Jerusalem has been busy with his plans over how best to divide Israel's "undivided & eternal capitol".
* Last but not least, no Israeli Prime Minister has ever dared to even consider giving away both Jerusalem and Hebron, let alone taking practical steps to implement such a plan. Ehud Olmert, less than two weeks into his tenure of Acting Prime Minister, has done just that.
In case you haven't figured it out yet, in the eyes of Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, the enemies of the State of Israel are not the Arabs who seek the destruction of the Jewish People and Jewish State, but those Jews who still believe that the State of Israel is meant to exist as a Jewish State, as opposed to a State of the Jews - in particular, the Jews of Judea and Samaria (Yesha).
If only Arik were around, then everything would be O.K... right?