Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Rainbow, the Land of Israel & the Half-Full Glass


This morning, while I was taking care of my daughter, I glanced out of my apartment window (that faces Jerusalem), as I always do, to get a sense of the weather. I tend to look towards Jerusalem when gauging the weather for the day, because that's where I work, and it's amazing how the weather can be so different between where I live, and Jerusalem, only a few miles away.

In any event... when I looked outside the window, I was privileged to see a big, beautiful rainbow, crossing the Judean / Jerusalem hills (To see more pictures of the rainbow, click here).

It's all too easy, living in Israel, to get caught up in all of the negativity that one is inundated with by the media everyday. There seem to be endless challenges facing the Jewish People and State here in Israel (many of which I discuss at length through this blog), and if one doesn't make an effort (myself included), it's easy to see the glass as being half-empty - to only see the clouds.

Upon seeing a rainbow, one is forced to look past the clouds, look past the rain, and to focus on the beauty of the world, or nature and of creation. I am fortunate, living where I do, that rainbows are not a rare occurrence, but I am happy to receive these reminders of how lucky I am to be living in the Land of Israel as often as possible.

The blessing that a Jew says upon seeing a rainbow also gives us reason to be hopeful:
Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the Universe, Who remembers the covenant and is faithful to all promises.

Today, upon seeing the rainbow, I remembered that as difficult as things may seem, the Jewish People and State have a glorious future ahead of them, a special destiny to fulfill, and I am happy knowing how fortunate I am to be living in the Land of Israel, the Land chosen by Hashem for the nation chosen by Hashem, and am able to be a part of it all.



10 Comments:

Heh. And I just used Jameel's picture...

Though this is gorgeous too.

By Blogger Ezzie, at Tue Nov 22, 11:02:00 AM GMT+2  

Never a shortage of beautiful sights in the hashem's Chosen Land...

The Talmud teaches us that 9/10ths of beauty in the world can be found right here in the Land of Israel.

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Tue Nov 22, 11:24:00 AM GMT+2  

beautiful picture! I saw the real thing though too! It sure beats the view we had from our apt window in Bklyn.. ( a brick wall!)

Thanks for sharing and reminding me about the bracha. Even on the darkest of days, Hashem blesses us. May we always have the ability to see these blessings, and may they strengthen us always.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 22, 11:29:00 AM GMT+2  

Beautiful picture and beautiful post - I can't imagine a more incredible setting for such a sight, and I can't wait to see it for myself!

By Blogger Shoshana, at Tue Nov 22, 01:42:00 PM GMT+2  

Great picture - and you have a wonderful view, apreciate it daily!

By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at Tue Nov 22, 03:59:00 PM GMT+2  

Rainbows sured are pretty... as far as reminders of G-D's veangful anger at us go (Bereishis 9:8-17).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 22, 04:22:00 PM GMT+2  

Rainbows are beautiful! But I know observent Jews who say that seeing a rainbow is a bad sign because it is a message from Hashem that we are so bad that he would send another flood had He not promised not to do so. Some of us always see the half empty glass.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 22, 04:30:00 PM GMT+2  

It is not an issue of religous people being pessimistic. If you believe in the torah, which granted not everyone does, then you know how G-D describes a rainbow. Should a religous person turn a blind eye to that reality and say, "Gee, but it sure looks swell."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 22, 07:19:00 PM GMT+2  

Strong Bad, you sound like you're one of those Kano'im...

By Blogger Ze'ev, at Tue Nov 22, 11:18:00 PM GMT+2  

Go plant a tree, chalutz!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 23, 01:58:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory