Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Stranger at Home

In the days immediately prior to the expulsion of Jews from their homes in Gush Katif (AKA "Disengagement"), a friend and I trekked down to the Kissufim junction (the checkpoint that lead into Gush Katif). The last 15+km we did on foot, evading security forces as we went.

I have noticed, in the 2+ weeks since that 36+-hour adventure that I have begun looking at Israel (in a physical sense) differently. The other day, I was riding the train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem (an absolutely stunning view), and I kept imagining to myself exactly where I could walk in the terrain without being seen. This was not the 1st time I have had these thoughts.

It troubles me that in my own home, in the Land of Israel, that one must consider ways to evade the Jewish security forces in defense of our fellow Jewish brothers and sisters. I guess, for me, I have lost my innocence. Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world, I just am more acutely aware of the challenges that are facing the Jewish People in the Land of Israel, and the individual challenges placed upon Jews who try to overcome the obstacles laid before them in their efforts to help overcome those national challenges.

The question that I am left with is whether or not one is better off living life with their innocence intact, or is it better to live life with one's eyes wide open, able to see the good and the not yet good?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blogs Directory